Are you afraid to go home? If you have been harmed in your country or your think you would be harmed in your country, you may be able to apply for asylum in the United States.  To be eligible for asylum, you must establish that you were or would be harmed either by your country’s government or a group that your government cannot control.  You also must establish that you were or would be harmed because of your race, religion, nationality, political opinion or social group.  

YOU MUST APPLY FOR ASYLUM WITHIN ONE YEAR OF ENTERING THE UNITED STATES.  Please come see us before that deadline.  If you have missed the one-year deadline, you may still be able to file for asylum if we can prove that there were certain reasons why you did not apply. In addition, if you missed the deadline, you may still be able to apply for two other forms of relief: withholding of removal and relief under the Convention Against Torture.

You may file an application directly with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) as long as you are not in removal proceedings (in court where the government is trying to deport or remove you from the U.S.). This affirmative asylum application is filled with DHS and, if you reside in Colorado, you will have an interview scheduled in Denver with the Houston Asylum Office.  Lisa Green & Associates has a very high success rate of affirmative asylum approvals.  However, if your application is not approved, and you are not in the U.S. legally, your case will be referred to an Immigration Judge where you can file again for asylum. In both cases, you will then have an opportunity to present your case in front of the Immigration Judge who will decide your case.

Whether you file for asylum affirmatively, or in front of an Immigration Judge, you can file for work permission, 180 days after your application has been received.  Once you are granted asylum, you are allowed to live and work in the United States and are eligible for federal benefits. You can also file for your spouse and children to join you in the United States if they are still back home or elsewhere.  One year after you get asylum, you may apply for permanent residence (a green card) and will be on the path to citizenship.

Contact Us